Stale, stagnant, or bad smelling indoor air is a hallmark of inadequate ventilation of your home. When the quality of the air inside your house is poor, everyone suffers. From respiratory trouble to discomfort, your family and guests will surely notice the decreased quality of the indoor climate. With this guidance from our team at Gentry Heating Inc., we will help you restore good indoor air quality (IAQ) throughout your home.
What IAQ Means
IAQ refers to the amount of air pollution inside of a structure. Ventilating systems play a significant role in IAQ. Homes with poor ventilation can suffer from a buildup of indoor air pollutants. These air pollutants can range from off-gassed chemicals from furniture and carpet to fumes from cleaning supplies, cooking, and hobbies, to organic materials such as pet dander, mold spores, and dust mites. Insufficient ventilating of the indoor air lets these pollutants proliferate and spread throughout your home.
How to Improve Home Ventilation
There are many actions you can take to improve how well your Columbus, NC home is ventilated. These steps include:
- Installing a whole house and/or attic fan.
- Replacing the air filters on your heating and air conditioning system at least once every three months and monthly during periods of high usage.
- Using exhaust fans each time you cook or shower.
- Adding a dehumidifier in humid areas of your home.
- Running the fan-only option of the HVAC system when the weather is mild.
- Having your air ducts professionally cleaned and sealed.
- Replacing defective HVAC equipment.
Benefits of Improved Air Flow
Improving the air flow of your home offers many benefits to you, your family and anyone who comes to visit or stay in your home. Some of these benefits include:
- Fewer allergens circulating in the air.
- Less wear and tear on your heating and cooling system.
- Healthier air that is easier to breathe.
- Less dust, which means less cleaning.
- A fresher and more pleasant indoor atmosphere.
A poorly ventilated home is likely to have poor IAQ as well. Instead of living in an unhealthy, stale, and uncomfortable home, you can take action to improve your daily life. By adding ventilating equipment and using the fans and heating and cooling system, your IAQ will be much improved. For more information on how ventilating your home affects the IAQ or to learn about our current specials, give us at Gentry Heating Inc. a call any time.