While the chilly winter weather prevails, you likely have your heating system running frequently, potentially triggering the spread of carbon monoxide (CO) in your home without you ever knowing it. The insidious gas is odorless and colorless, making it nearly impossible to detect. But ensuring it’s not present in your home is vital for the safety of your family, as carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for a significant number of deaths annually. Those whose lives aren’t claimed by it can still become severely ill due to exposure. Luckily, it’s relatively easy to prevent devastation from occurring – learn how to keep your protect your family today.
How to Keep Carbon Monoxide at Bay
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers several simple ways you can avoid exposure to carbon monoxide. The following tips will help lower your risk when it’s time to use your heating system every winter:
- Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in your home and change the batteries every spring and fall. A good way to remember to do this is to replace them when you change the time on your clocks every fall and spring.
- Leave your home immediately and get medical help if the CO detector’s alarm goes off, or if you think you or someone in your home may have carbon monoxide poisoning and are experiencing side effects such as nausea, headaches or other flu-like symptoms.
- Have your heating system serviced every year by a professional contractor, before the cold weather takes over. Make sure the contractor inspects the exhaust system for your furnace as well. This is one of the most effective ways to promote a safely operating unit. (And on top of reducing the likelihood your family will be exposed to carbon monoxide, your system will run more efficiently. This means lowered energy costs every month. A well cared for system also has a reduced chance of breaking down in the middle of winter.)
Learn more about carbon monoxide and heating systems at Gentry Heating, Inc.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com